Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Yes! The Art of Spring Cleaning!

Piece chosen by Collins for her bedroom

Cleaning is never a fun thing to do, unless you're me. And even then, it's fun to clean because you know how nice and dust or germ-free everything will be afterwards. I know, I'm an odd duck. But I guarantee that if you were a spring cleaner like myself you would find it enjoyable. Of course, there's an art to it.

I was roaming around online when I came across an article written by a writer by the name of Anna Collins. Collins writes that she decided to hire someone to clean her house this spring, instead of doing it herself. This lead her to her new spring makeover idea --- Collins decided to take down all her old artwork and replace it with new and fresh art. She points her readers to art.com to find inexpensive but great art. Once, she strays from the site and incorporates old postcards into the new scenery in the bathroom.

"The Bathroom. You may not think of this as a place for art, but let’s face it, we spend a lot of time in the bathroom, so why not make it interesting? Who wants to look at those same dumb watercolors of a bathtub and vanity that seem to be so popular amongst the masses. I’m already in the bathroom; I don’t need to be reminded that I’m in the bathroom. This was the only area where I diverted from Art.com. Instead, I took some vintage Florida postcards and framed them for a lovely vertical piece of artwork. I purchased the frame, which is specifically fashioned for 4”x 6” postcards from HomeGoods and the postcards I got at a yard sale." - Anna Collins

Collins goes on to describe her choices for each major room in her home and how each piece of art carries a desirable and appropriate feel to the space in which is resides. I find her article very interesting as an individual ready for spring cleaning and, at the same time, embarking upon the tiring yet rewarding journey of redecorating my apartment. I learned from this article to, not only buy art that makes sense, but buy art that fits. And yes, those are two different things.

Happy Spring Cleaning!

Jillian


-photo and quote courtesy of http://www.annacollins.com/art-of-cleaning.htm# -

No comments: