Wednesday, April 9, 2008

NESCom Stars

Young, talented, motivated and enterprising are adjectives I would use to describe one of our NESCom stars. This particular star got my attention one day in an audio engineering classroom located across from my office. I must admit that it's difficult some times to focus on my work when I have the rhythm track of Loverboy's Turn Me Loose on a loop running through my head. It's even harder to concentrate when I hear the voice of one of our students and it's immediately evident she's a very good singer. The talent and diversity of some of our students truly excites me. Kayla Wass is one of our stars and I understand she's even competing in the Husson Idol contest on campus.

I'm a musician and have grown up in a musical environment all of my life. I can easily recognize a good musician from a bad one. Kayla has great vocal control and range and she's got good pitch. Musicians who don't have good pitch can be very painful to listen to if you have a trained ear!

Kayla has quite a schedule set for herself in 2008 and you can find out where she's appearing next by checking out her website kaylawass.com. Her website is where my use of enterprising comes in to play. How impressive it is that Kayla understands the business end of the music industry and grasps the need for marketing herself and her music.

I think Kayla is a NESCom Star destined for great things. Not only is she a great entertainer but a wonderful role model for other young musicians as well.

by

Susan Patten

No comments: