Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Worship Not These False Idols

Posted By Seth Davis

Yeah that's right, the Bible. I've been coming down from the mountain these last few months and trying to give the commandments of music, metal and entertainment to my vast readership, and now I challenge you all to renege on one of the most popular shows in American history – American Idol.

I say step away, from that false devil. Backing me up is a fellow blogger, Bob Lefsetz from Yahoo Music.com who wrote an article that upset a few Kelly Clarkson fans.

The classic rockers were built on their own material. There were no song doctors. It was directly from their heart to yours. And this has delivered audiences in some cases 40 years after their debut. If you're just singing someone else's song, you're driving the BMW. Someone else can get inside and take the wheel instantly.

If you read his entire post, his point is that American Idol may be good entertainment, but it is not good music. That most of the sales are from popularity than any talent.

I agree and go even further. I feel that American Idol is hampering the growth of new music and furthering the belief that image is more important than quality. That releasing a single you didn't even write yourself and getting it on Itunes is some how more important than a well written album. To me nothing is better than a good band or artist pushing the boundaries of their art.

We live in a society where films mocking other films make millions of dollars. Where remakes turn into prequels and then sequels. Where teen pop star, Hannah Montana portrays herself as “normal”, despite making more money than Britney Spears.

False idols. I am not asking anyone to erase everything on their ipod, or destroy every cd they own. I am simply saying, next time you are looking for some new music, why don’t you try something new.

As always I will provide a few videos to leave my fans with. Artists new and old that I'm sure the "judges" of American Idol would find some fault with.


Bob Dylan - House of The Rising Sun




Tom Waits - Hold On




Army of the Pharaohs - Dump the Clip (Some Swearing)



*Thanks to MSNBC.com for the picture and YouTube for all the diverse tunage.

No comments: