Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Flautist, Flutist The Difference between Beer and Champagne

I started my musical career singing show tunes for the kindergarten kids at "Show and Tell" and recess. It wasn't until the fifth grade however, when I picked up my first instrument; the flute. I've been hooked ever since.

As I matured, my flute playing came along, and I got good enough to hold the first chair in the school band. Then I moved on the the Bangor Youth Symphony Orchestra and availed myself of any playing opportunity I could. I played in All State and took the Gold at several Solo & Ensemble competitions statewide. I was even accepted to attend the Boston Conservatory of Music just out of high school, but unfortunately couldn't swing the cost of tuition, even back then.

Many people never knew exactly what to call me; A Flautist or Flutist? To many, I'm sure it's a mundane argument like tomah-to or tomay-to. In my class and refinement I'd like to suggest the pronunciation is the difference between beer and champagne. I prefer champagne to beer so I prefer flautist.

Regardless of what you call me, I only wish I had stuck to my playing consistently. Who knew you wouldn't need to get to the stage of Carnegie Hall for an appreciative audience, especially in the day of YouTube, where I could post like Nina Perlove here.



The tone I produce is just as rich (if I may say so) and my Selmer Omega Flute is open-holed and has a gold mouthpiece. However, the reality is, my fingers are not as limber any more and I don't play for hours a day like I once did. Nina would blow me right off the map, but with a little more consistent practice on my part, I'd be willing to play duets with her!

by Susan Pattten

No comments: