Friday, April 18, 2008

Mrs. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous



It's funny ... she's one of the world's most famous and talented female pop stars of our time. But you wouldn't know it if you typed her name in on YouTube. Her music videos are at the bottom. The top is splashed with paparazzi footage and clips catching her in one of her many "Oops"-es.

I'm going to write a post about Britney Spears. But before you navigate away... it's not going to be a post like you'd expect - not going to be a summary of all the mistakes she's made, a collection of irresponsible things she's done in her life, or an outlet for yet more celebrity bashing. My other blog-mates may disown me, but I think it's time to look at Spears' life in a different way.

I sat here tonight watching music videos, interviews and paparazzi footage of this star. I watched her sing and dance as a girl in the Mickey Mouse Club and I watched her being wheeled out of her home on a gurney to be hospitalized for mental evaluation.

It was sad. I actually felt bad for her and that surprised me. I agree - celebrities soak up attention and seek it as a means of boosting record sales. But what happened to being a celebrity because you're talented? Instead, you know you've made it big when you're being criticized in tabloids or in cartoon hits such as South Park and Family Guy. Britney Spears isn't being photographed because of her latest album - she's being photographed for being sick.

I know, I know... I agree she's brought a lot of it on herself.

But she has had a lot of help, too. I don't look at the latest headlines and huff and say "she's so stupid" under my breath. I look at the headlines and think about the tears that came to her eyes when in an interview with Matt Lauer he asked what it would take to get the paparazzi to leave her alone.

"That's my biggest wish," said Spears as her voice cracked. "For them to leave me alone."

Yeah. Everyone has to make a buck. The paparazzi have a job to do. But I don't think we can continue to look at Britney Spears the way the cameras do. She's been in the spotlight since she was a little girl. What if it were you? The so widely sought life of stardom has led this woman to her breaking point.

The price to appear on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? ...Much higher than the bronze star that's there.

Jillian

-photos courtesy of Google images-

No comments: