Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Too much drama? I don't think so!




Buying all six seasons of one of televisions most accomplished shows has not been in the least bit a bad investment on my part. Dawson's Creek, a show which captured the hearts of millions of teenagers during the 1990s, is definitely a show I could watch even years from now.

I guess it wouldn't be considered great entertainment, except for the fact that there have been millions of dollars made in the sales of DVDs for this show. Obviously there's something to watch. Despite the claims of it being a "chick" show, or obnoxious, or anything along those lines... this show has moved people for years. I mean, come on, there have been six seasons. Even after its end, it lives on.

There has been talk of the show's next generation, but in my opinion the continuing of this work of art would be overkill. The last episode is definitely a tear-jerker, and a perfect ending. I don't think the producers would be so stupid as to try to mold the way Dawson's Creek was, into the way television is today... it just wouldn't fit.

When I think about my childhood, this show is one of the most important things I think about. Until I was sucked in, I didn't really have any means of entertainment which actually taught me things-- like life lessons. If there is something going on in one's life, you can bet that it has been aired at one point or another on Dawson's Creek.

What, though, is the exact reason this show was so damn popular, and continues to be? Yes, there's proof that it is, but there has to be emotions attached in one way or another to the characters... and it doesn't fail to do so.

Every character in this show, no matter how long or shortly they have appeared on the show, can connect to a type of teenager... but it's not just teenagers. My mother sits down with me sometimes, and she connects with the older aspects of the show... like people's mothers and fathers, money problems, so on.

Then, there's the unrealistic vocabulary that every character has. I know, I know-- the English language has been pretty much slaughtered over the years... but it was very refreshing to hear young people using words that I don't even hear adults using. When I was younger, I was the type that picked up on people's speech and words and subconsciously started to use them. My dad and mom liked that I watched this show so much, because the show's unrealistic use of vocabulary taught me that it can, actually, be cool to be smart.

Everything about this show is perfect, at least in my opinion. Maybe there are some cheesy parts, or parts that seem unnecessary... but think about it-- what if your life was filmed? There are some pretty crazy things that happen to some people. These crazy things just happened to everyone in this case.


-Kassandra Small

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, fellow A-List member, that I too have a love for the Dawson's Creek series. Many will complain - but I'll bet you they can hum the theme song...