Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chocolate Is Entertaining?

It's crazy, right? Chocolate isn't entertaining. Chocolate is a sweet food, whether in the form of hot cocoa or a candy bar. Some studies even argue that cocoa helps keep high blood pressure down. If you were me, you'd advocate for a "chocolate food group" all its own in the Food Pyramid.

So what does chocolate have to do with art and/or entertainment? Right now you're probably wondering how I'm going to tie chocolate into the two considering that this IS an "arts and entertainment" blog. Well, I'm about to tell you how.

I was snacking on a handful of M&M's this evening while
watching an episode of FRIENDS on television. Now FRIENDS is my all-time favorite show, so it takes a great amount of effort to draw my attention from it. But on this particular night, I was fascinated with my bag of M&M candies.

I began to study the characters on the front where "Red" looked as if he were trying to make a two-dimensional pass at "Green". In small print I read a message advertising the M&M website where I could go to make my own M&M character. MY OWN?! What fun! So then I was intrigued. I flipped the bag over (not completely thinking this through and spilling a handful) to discover another message directing me again to the website, but this time it was to customize my candies. CUSTOMIZE?! MY OWN?! So then I was interested and had to check out the website.

It sounds silly, but I had a great time. You can create your own M&M with hair, accessories, shoes, and colors to your preference. There's even an option for facial hair. You can also click on the "Recipes" tab and get a great selection of family treats you can prepare. Or if cooking is not your thing, head to the "Fun & Games" section which, by the way, is very appropriately titled.

All in all the site was very entertaining, so I thought I would share it with all of you. I wanted to shed some new light on the loosely defined term "entertainment." And no, I'm not getting paid to promote M&M's. But it's fun to put down the textbooks or take a break from a long day's work once in a while and do something that makes you feel like a kid again.

Just make sure you give yourself a time limit. I should have been studying while I was creating this super diva M&M.
Enjoy!

Jillian


Click here to enter the M&M website!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! And I totally believe that chocolate is entertaining. In NYC they have restaurants devoted to chocolate. If that's not entertaining I don't know what is.