Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Get Lost

There are two types of people in this world: those who watch television occasionally and those who watch religiously. Sadly, I am grouped into the latter. I have a few shows that I can’t miss, and that’s okay because I work hard juggling classes and jobs during the day, so why shouldn’t I be able to have one addiction?

When the clock hits 9 on Thursday nights, I throw my comfortable pajamas on and wrap up in my cozy blanket. I run to the cupboard and gather snacks, placing them next to my favorite seat on the couch so I will be able to find them without drawing my gaze away from Grey’s Anatomy. It all happens again three days later for Desperate Housewives.

You get my point. The first type of people (not to mention those who don’t watch television at all - eek!) view this as a pathetic routine. But it’s one of those routines that I look forward to all week. So when I was presented with the opportunity to add to my list of religiously-watched shows, how could I refuse?

A co-worker of mine and his wife recommended that I borrow a couple seasons of their favorite show that they own on DVD. Three days later my boyfriend and I had blown through an entire season of our new addiction: Lost. And it gets worse. We don’t have to wait a week to watch the next episode - the discs are all right in front of us, sitting neatly in their case. So one episode after another, one disc after another, we can’t seem to shut the television off.

Granted I’ve only seen the first season, but I’m hooked. I knew it after watching the pilot. I always wondered what the big deal was about. Lost has been all the talk since it aired, I just never jumped on the train. Now I see. It’s a thrilling drama and riveting mystery. New and important details emerge with each passing minute. You truly don’t know what will happen next. The eerie music is enough to keep you on the edge and trying to guess what’s behind that rustling bush or lurking in the shadows of the island.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I highly recommend watching the show. If you’re not a Desperate Housewives or Grey’s Anatomy fan, my advice may seem less credible. But seriously, all other shows aside, get Lost. Start at the beginning. Find some friends who own the seasons on disc. You won’t be sorry.

Oh, and get a cozy blanket, too. Guy or gal, it’s a great accessory for watching a great show.

Jillian

-photo courtesy of abc.com-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch television for that very reason -- I don't like to plan my week around a show and waiting for next week's show causes me anxiety. However, I'm all for watching television shows on DVD. That's the way to do it -- especially when you have a snowy or rainy day to kill. If people can just buy their favorite shows on DVD and watch them online (which I just found out you could do by the way) is it going to hurt the show's ratings in the future?

Anonymous said...

Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives are also an addiction of mine. Boston Legal also used to be a "must watch" but it airs too late for workaholics. I think that it's better to form an "attachment" to a few shows than to be a "teleholic" (sorry, I'm a bit of a neologist in my own right). Lately though I have had the same problem with my favorite shows that I have with lottery tickets. When I do purchase one, I can't believe that I didn't win! So I stopped buying. When I look for new episodes of my favorites, often I find only reruns. I am at risk of becoming a "wait for the DVD and bad weather". As for the snacks and cozy blanket, I can always find an excuse for those.