Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Atonement

Atonement: Amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong; expiation. ( definition Answers.com)

Trailer for Atonement: Directed by Joe Wright


Many who know me know that I am picky when it comes to movies. Not to say I can't enjoy a good popcorn flick, but I do think Hollywood is afraid to take chances. I have seen two movies in the last few months that are worthy of being called great films: No Country for Old Men, and Atonement. I will not make this a review as much as a recommendation. If you want a review go to Rotten Tomatoes.com or Joblo.com both good sites for reviews and movie information. I will save my No Country love for Oscar time and instead talk about Atonement.

No secret that some of the best movies this year were adaptations from novels. Saves money and you have a built in audience. Of course the dilemma is how close to stay to the novel. Go with Will Smith's abs in I am Legend and change the ending to one the best stories of all time? I can start a whole blog on book to movie translations so I will cry for a short period and move on. I have not read Atonement, based on a novel by Ian McEwan, and I understand there were some scenes left out, but the general theme of the ending remained the same.

What made the movie better than all the others was quite simple. It pulled you in. Good movies don't have to cheat. Characters that talked like human beings. Nothing fancy (minus some awesome beach scenes) but brilliant camera work. I sat in a silent, but full theater. People wanted to hear the dialogue and to know what came next. The music seemly coming in at the right moments not to induce emotions, but to enhance them. The acting shadowed somewhat by the plot but Saiorse Ronan did stand out playing an intelligent, but woefully ignorant child. And McAvoy and Keira Knightley did much more than look pretty on the screen, they made you care.
I look forward to seeing There Will Be Blood and Juno as I have heard positives about each, but seeing both in Bangor, Maine can be difficult.

Atonement was nominated for 7 Oscars, including best picture of the year.

~Seth

No comments: