Wednesday, January 30, 2008

ITunes stinks sometimes.




This was my dilemma:

I have a computer at home, a desktop one, and I have a laptop here at school. Over the years, I have acquired tons and tons of songs, amounting to days of listening. I can say that I have been extremely proud of my music collection, as I am not one to judge a certain genre (well, except country) or one to not open my eyes up to a new band or sound. When I was young, I never liked the dances at school because they played the same exact things I heard on the radio all the time. Then, when I got my "Dell DJ," an MP3 player about two years ago, I never turned on a radio station, and every time I wanted a song, I could have it. It was amazing.

When my MP3 player crashed, I was heart broken. I moved on, though, and I got an IPod shortly after. I was excited that I could now view videos whenever I wanted, and it was nice to have around.

Then I went to college, downloaded songs onto my laptop, and tried to sync everything onto my IPod.

I lost all my thousands of songs that I previously had on my IPod that I synced from my home computer.

I had to go home, get them all back, and just download all the other songs I had acquired during school. I knew I couldn't go on with this, so I had to figure out why ITunes wouldn't let me synchronize two libraries into one... and then it hit me: they want money.

This made me really upset, seeing as how I'm insanely obsessed with music... and I decided to download a program that would seek loopholes to add both libraries to my IPod. It worked, but my "play count" and "ratings" were lost on both my IPod and my computer.

The moral of this story is-- well, there isn't a moral... just that ITunes still has some kinks to work out, despite how long they have been running. I know that they want to make money, but how many people are going to stick to using this software when they have to go through such lengths to actually feel that when they bought an IPod, it was worth it?

-Kassandra Small

(Photo courtesy of komotv.com images)

No comments: