Monday, March 17, 2008

You Mean There's Not Really a Hole in the Ground?

So I received an email from my boyfriend's mother a couple of weeks ago. She's very adorable and delights in passing on interesting emails, jokes, and chain-letters. This particular email showcased the very fascinating work of an artist whose talent and creativity blew me away. Of course, I had to share it with my fellow bloggers.

His name is Julian Beever and he is an English artist famous for his three-dimensional pavement art. He has drawn on sidewalks in England, France, Germany, Australia, Belgium and the United States. I couldn't believe the photographs when I saw them. I have included some below. These are all drawings on a flat surface - but look at how real they look, jumping out of the pavement.

Amazing, right?! How does he do it? Take a look at the two photographs below. This particular drawing, "Make Poverty History," is 40 feet long. However, when viewed from the right angle, it appears to pop up off the pavement in 3D. This is how Beever creates his illusion.

For more information on Julian Beever and to view more of his amazing artwork visit:
http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/index.html

Or watch a time lapse of one of his pieces to see how he creates his art:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfn8Dz_13Ms


Enjoy!

Jillian