Monday, March 31, 2008

Folk Metal - Korpiklaani

Photography by Harri Hinkka


Now what is more metal than a fiddle? An accordion of course! Now first let me thank my readers for all their help last week in finding the perfect movie. I think the only response I got was from my imaginary friend. Yup, that's right my mother didn't even help.

Now back to metal. Something, along with Buckethead my many readers have been asking for more of. We have been slacking off in that category so I figured it was time to go to the source - Finland. What?! You didn't realize that Finland was the world's supplier of all things metal. Well the United States and England had their brief "glory days" in the 1980's but Finland sprung up from the ashes and has always kept the torch of metal burning strong.

From the operatic melodies of Nightwish to the punk metal of Lordi many styles are represented.

Korpiklanni is influenced by traditional Finnish folk melodies. Many of their songs come from Finnish folk tales as well. If you listen to the videos you can hear the lyrics often switch between English and Finnish. The band does use an accordion and violin as well as a distinct percussion sound to achieve this "folk" sound. Enjoy the samples. Korpiklanni has just released their sixth album in as many years.

Korpiklaani - Native land



Korpiklaani - Hunting Song





*For more information pictures and downloads visit http://www.korpiklaani.com/

~Seth Davis

No comments: