Saturday, February 9, 2008

Where Was The Rush?


The first movie was incredibly funny. The second movie was full of laughs, too. So you can imagine that I was quite excited to discover Rush Hour 3 was being filmed. Sadly, I never got to see the movie when it came out in theaters. But when I visited family this weekend, my mother had rented it for us to watch. Finally. I was so excited and ready for "the rush."

Ninety-one minutes later I found myself a little disappointed. Sure, it was funny. And yeah, Jackie Chan still kicks booty. But I laughed harder at the outtakes than I did most of the movie. I didn't expect that. I agree that some movies are too long, but this one didn't seem like it was long enough. I was waiting for an epic battle or a conclusion fitting for the third movie of a hilarious series. As the "War" music began and Chan and Tucker broke out into their duo dance, the camera zooming out, my brother said, "This better not be the ending."

What is it about trilogies? Lord of the Rings was strong. Star Wars (the original three) was strong. SpiderMan 3 suffered from villain overload and left us right where we started. The Matrix trilogy was good, but the third movie just seemed like it was missing something. The same goes for Pirates of the Caribbean (though I do love the character of Davey Jones).

Now I don't claim to be any great movie-writer, producer or director, but as a consumer I'm beginning to get a little worried about the future of trilogies. Perhaps the new Batman movies will be the revival.

Regardless of my review, if you enjoyed the first two movies you should watch the third one, just based on the principle of the matter. It's still a good movie. It's just not the "great" I was looking for. It's not "end of the trilogy" worthy. But Chris Tucker is still funny.

Jillian

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293564/
http://www.rushhourmovie.com/

-photo courtesy of moviewalah.com-

No comments: