Monday, February 4, 2008

The Bay State


Today I will do something unusual. It's not unusual in general, just unusual for me. I'm going to recommend a band. That's right. I'm going to give you their name, direct you to their website and strongly suggest that they are the next "up and coming".

Lots of people recommend bands. This sharing is a daily interaction. So why are we leery? Well, not everyone has the same taste. For example, I proudly confirm my annoyance with death metal when asked, but I have several friends who live by it. My taste in music is very broad -- so broad that my iPod playlist may follow Beyonce with System of a Down or Christina Aguilera with Audioslave. You never know. It's spontaneous - and for me, it's more exciting that way.

The Bay State is one of my personal favorite bands. I spent a little time with some of the band members in 2005 as I helped film and create a music video featuring one of their songs. It was a project for a class, but I got way more out of it than that. I got hooked on the lyrics and found myself humming the melody. And that was before the viola came along which, by the way, completed the sound in a way I did not expect. I heard The Bay State with this new addition for the first time last summer in Lincoln, Maine, where they played for Homecoming and they blew me away.

The moral of this story is . . . I don't recommend bands often, but I love listening to The Bay State so I'm going to make an exception. While listening to some sample tracks on their website is great, I also recommend that if the opportunity to see them live presents itself - take it. It's a whole different sound - and it's a great performance.

Check them out! They may not be your style, but what good is a love for music if it's not a little broad and unique?

Tom, Mary, Evan and Drew . . . you're awesome.

Jillian

www.myspace.com/thebaystate
www.purevolume.com/thebaystate

No comments: