Friday, February 22, 2008

Expression of Nature

The color pulled me right in. Bright blues, greens and yellows presented a huge contrast against the falling snow outside. This is the time of year I need color in my life so it was a pleasure to sit in the Husson College Art Gallery for a while.

I first introduced you to the gallery in Walls That Speak. The art exhibit has now changed from the work of Adele Obrien-Drake to the oil paintings of Emily Hopkins. Hopkins resides in Lincolnville, Maine and has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York.



Emily Hopkins describes herself as a romantic, abstract landscape painter. "I use gesture, expressive mark making, color and shape to describe abstracted moments of being in nature," explains Hopkins. Hopkins goes on to describe her work in a biography left in the gallery. "The paintings are visual poems and are meant to be viewed abstractly just as music is listened to. I attempt to maintain a sense of wonder, mystery, inspiration and surprise in my work."



In addition to the Husson College Art Gallery, Hopkins work has been displayed in the Carver Hill Gallery in Rockport, Maine and the Warren Street Gallery in Hudson, New York to name a few exhibitions.

The colors she uses in her landscapes reminds me of the warmth of summer!

By Susan Patten

No comments: