Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Southern Gentlemen


I met Jonathan Taylor Rose when I was visiting family in Arkansas about two years ago. He’s one of the cousins of my friends that I had met during my two week trip. I walked into his place of work, a small plane station owned by their family, where he was a mechanic for the planes. He was wearing a pink bandana, an orange sweatshirt, and he had grease all over his pants and shoes. Twenty minutes after being introduced, I was informed that he was a musician and had just created a demo. He pulled out a copy, singed it, and gave it to me and my sister. I keep it safe with my photo albums and other various precious things at home. This was a cool moment, because I could feel that he was going to become something.

Maybe it was because a cute boy signed a CD that I feel this way, but the thing is, listening to his music now doesn’t fail to prove to me that it will happen for him. Today, he’s still in Arkansas recording with his new band, which is also named Jonathan Taylor Rose. His first demo, “Barefoot Angel,” is still on their Myspace.com playlist, but there are also new songs recorded by the new band. “Barefoot Angel” made me cry when I first heard it two years ago, so I am very glad it’s kept in the reach of listening even if it was one of Jonathan’s solo projects. As of the other songs, they are put together eloquently and there’s a different sound in it than usual. They want to come to Maine and perform when they go on tour, as they politely and excitedly accepted my suggestion for them to play here. There really aren’t many Indie genre underground bands in Maine, and I think that’s sad. Arkansas is lucky to have them.

www.myspace.com/jonathantaylorrose

Check it out.


-Kassandra

No comments: